ASFO airs weekly at 19z00. In this post you will find links to the shows from 2022, along with my attempts to describe each show.
To understand what this show is about, and for the shows from 2021, go here.
Continue reading ““A Step Farther Out” 2022 Shows”
If you recall the Eames Office film “Powers of Ten” ― we humans are at the midpoint between the galaxies and the atomic nucleus. It’s a great place to be!
Saturdays, 19h UTC
Why would I start a new show, when I have trouble keeping up with the one I already have?
This is a completely different concept, and will be a completely different format (whatever the format ends up being), from Hear Now the Words. About all they have in common is my speaking voice. HNtW is the show in which I read stories written by other people. ASFO is the show in which I talk about what I think are interesting and worthwhile things to know and think about. That is going to involve atomic energy and space travel a great deal. As I see it, those are two defining features of human existence in the present age, which is the age of transition from planetary to cosmic existence. If we fail to think about them, and get them in the correct perspective, we may not make that transition successfully. And that is a thought too hideous, too sorrowful, to bear examination.
Continue reading ““A Step Farther Out””
This is in the nature of an experiment, albeit a protracted one.
Having come up with the idea of “live–action audiobooks”, or live–streaming myself reading, I realized that the recordings I was making in the process could be edited & sent out later as audio transmissions. aNONradio seemed like an ideal venue for this, in no small part because of its archive feature.
This is, then, a long–form spoken-word program, consisting mostly of my reading of classic science–fiction novels. I hope you enjoy!
- aNONradio timeslot : 15h UTC, Tuesdays and Fridays
- Streaming on Toobnix LIVE! : often circa 22h UTC Sundays, with a call–in period during aNONradio OpenVoIP (but quite variable — listen for announcements)
- PayPal : encourage the storyteller by leaving a tip
- Patreon campaign : tip the storyteller on a recurring monthly basis, and receive rewards — at the lowest tier, $1/month, you can download the individual story chapters (some free samples are available here)
- Twitch streaming : discontinued now that Toobnix LIVE! is working
Major works read so far :
- A Princess of Mars, Edgar Rice Burroughs (shows 001—007)
- The Moon Pool, Abraham Merritt (shows 008—018) + novelette version (shows 058 & 059 )
- Cosmos, various authors, read as time permits rather than as a whole
- The Skylark of Space, Edward Elmer “Doc” Smith (shows 021—028, and a teaser for a re–read version available to Patreon supporters in show 90)
- Armageddon 2419 AD, Philip Francis Nowlan (shows 029—034)
- Auf Zwei Planeten / Two Planets, Kurd Lasswitz (shows 044—057)
- When the World Shook, Being an Account of the Great Adventure of Bastin, Bickley, and Arbuthnot, H Rider Haggard (shows 061—072)
- The Gods of Mars, ERB (shows 73—80)
- The Warlord of Mars, ERB (shows 81—86)
- By Air Express to Venus, or, Captives of a Strange People, Roy Rockwood (shows 73, 77, 79, 80, 84—86 as fillers, and 87—90 as the main program)
- Pickwickians Abroad, “Deir Treblig Nhoj”
- A Journey in Other Worlds, John Jacob Astor IV
- A Columbus of Space, Garrett P Serviss
- The Castle of Otranto, Horace Walpole
- Journey to Mars, Gustavus W Pope
- Triplanetary, “Doc” Smith
- Skylark Three,“Doc” Smith
Shorter works read so far (as fillers, et cetera) :
- Citadel of Lost Ships, Leigh Brackett (shows 002, 004, 005, 007, 014, 015, 018)
- Shambleau, C.L. Moore (shows 038, 039)
- Lorelei of the Red Mists, Leigh Brackett and Ray Bradbury (shows 040, 041, 042)
- The Blind Spot, Austin Hall and Homer Eon Flint ― this is actually a full novel, but I have read only the first 10 000 words so far (show 060)