An electro, IDM, and ambient grab-bag, all at around 120. New(ish) tracks from Pearson Sound and Scape One plus some old favorites.
This show can be downloaded from aNONradio’s archives here: https://archives.anonradio.net/202009180600_cev.mp3, and streamed at mixcloud here: https://www.mixcloud.com/djcev/mtt-186-breathe-life/.
- Mrs Jynx / Dinner Dance 00:00
- Space Dimension Controller / VCOcation 04:24
- Shadowbunny / Feathers 06:20
- Dark Vektor / Cyan 09:51
- Scape One / Hyperbolix 14:07
- Lego Feet / Untitled [Part 2 Track 5] 17:20
- Amorphous Androgynous / Fat Cat 21:47
- Kaiowa / Aliensex 25:22
- Midnight Star / Midas Touch (Hell Interface Remix) 28:29
- Ivna Ji / Laax 32:59
- Voigt Kampff / Question 36:22
- DMX Krew / The Storm King 39:35
- Pearson Sound / Everything Is Inside Out 43:04
- Dagobert / Bionic Two 47:20
- Azure Taint / Bergluft 50:08
- SMX / Sleep 53:19
- Jega / Inertia 57:17
Scape One‘s Hyperbolix is (relatively) new, released in February on the album Cosmic Trax through Mr. Baggaley’s bandcamp. I played the first track off it a couple months ago, one of the Jive Rhythm Trax tributes. Hyperbolix is more moody than those tributes, more in line with what the album sounds like as a whole.
The other new song this week is Pearson Sound‘s Everything Is Inside Out from his Alien Mode EP. I played the A side of this two weeks ago, and am really glad to get to this track (B2) now. It’s a genre-bending piece, as much techno or breaks or IDM as it is anything else. The kicks are arranged in the same pattern as the second half of the Numbers rhythm, there’s no snare or strong accent on 2, I dunno, it’s weird. And weird in this case is good.
There’s lots more to recommend here: Shadowbunny is awesome, Ivna Ji’s Laax EP is one of my favorite things of the last couple of years, even an old semi-forgotten tracker mod in Aliensex by Kaiowa. But I feel like moving on. I’ll be back next week with something slower, as usual.
Electro, IDM, and one odd breaks track, all at around 128. A little cryptic, distant, faded.
This show can be heard it aNONradio’s archives here: https://archives.anonradio.net/202009110600_cev.mp3, and at mixcloud here: https://www.mixcloud.com/djcev/mtt-185-like-shadows/.
- Obergman / Synchronicity 00:00
- Holger Flinsch / Abak 01:35
- Metamatics / Liquid Gel 04:00
- Creta Kano / Skyway Motel 07:48
- Legowelt / Shadows In The Street Life 11:37
- Transparent Sound / What Goes On? 16:18
- VC-118A / Protocol 20:48
- Low Orbit Satellite / Hostile Manoeuvres 23:07
- Lok44 / Flaix 28:07
- Anthony Rother / Medium 31:22
- Electroberlin / The End 37:07
- Silicon Scally / Coast To Coast 39:22
- Jon Convex / Radar 44:37
- Rude 66 / Overkill (Vocoder Mix) 48:46
- Identity Unknown / Wasp 47 52:25
- Plastikman / Mind In Rewind 55:27
The marquee track of this selection is without a doubt Legowelt‘s Shadows In The Street Life from his album Pancakes With Mist. I’ve been waiting to play it for a month or more now. An electro anthem, the kind I find only every few years. Mixes well with Skyway Motel, too, which is pretty cool.
Another thing to mention is that Rude 66’s classic Overkill is playing at -6% in this mix. On second listen it sounds a bit off, a bit wrong, though to some extent that was my intention. Maybe it would have been better a little slower. Check the link above to hear Overkill at its original speed if you’re unfamiliar with it.
I’m happy with this. We’ve been having a, ah, weather event where I am in Oregon and the music choices this hour reflect that. The performance could be better, there are some annoying unfinished edges in the mix, but I’m always going to say that. Oh, and my little vocal intro wasn’t archived correctly, but that’s OK.
I’ll be back next week with something slower.
Breaks, electro, IDM, and a little future garage, all at a bit less than half the tempo of last week’s show. This hour features new(ish) music by Andy Garvey, Client_03, and Pearson Sound.
A recording of this show is available in aNONradio’s archives here: https://archives.anonradio.net/202009040600_cev.mp3, and at mixcloud here: https://www.mixcloud.com/djcev/mtt-184-not-lost/.
- Reedale Rise / 4th State 00:00
- Sepehr / Thinking Of You 03:53
- Silicon Scally / Triggered 08:14
- Aloka / Convex 13:14
- Client_03 / Personality Converter 16:33
- Andy Garvey / Mind Games 20:06
- Chris Randall / Stylus 22:35
- Azaleh / Revenant 25:39
- Sorrow / Up & Down 28:22
- Hajimari / Overnight 31:04
- Rings Around Saturn / Perfect Crime 33:53
- RAC / Instinct 37:39
- Ed Chamberlain / Somefind 41:39
- Pearson Sound / Alien Mode 45:25
- Low Orbit Satellite / Objects In Space 50:28
- Bola / Vespers 58:02
The first release I’d like to highlight in this is Pearson Sound‘s Alien Mode EP, released a couple of months ago on the great Hessle Audio. I like the title track Alien Mode a lot, a breaks workout with some fun vocal distortion (timestretching?). It shows up here near the end of the hour. There’s a very good tune on the B-side of the EP too which I’ll probably play in a few weeks.
Immediately after Alien Mode is Low Orbit Satellite‘s Objects In Space from their album Objects In Space. I spent an afternoon about six months ago going through the releases on Low Orbit Satellite’s bandcamp, and I think Objects In Space is my favorite. It’s four strong trancey electro tracks and one ambient dub techno track, very much my thing.
Tracks 7 through 10 form a little future garage segment. I don’t know much about the style and only have a few tracks (most of it sounds like Burial’s Untrue to me) but I enjoy it and it’s fun to play every now and then. Mixing future garage is a challenge, one I haven’t practiced much, so that segment is maybe a little rocky.
That’s all the commentary for #184 I have in me. I’ll be back next week with something slower, returning to my usual trend of reducing tempo through the month.