ASFO airs weekly at 19z00. In this post you will find links to the shows from 2022, along with my attempts to describe each show.
To understand what this show is about, and for the shows from 2021, go here.
Continue reading ““A Step Farther Out” 2022 Shows”
Best–selling books written by very wealthy people are usually along the lines of “The Secrets of My Success” ― but this is a space–travel story!
A Romance of the Future
John Jacob Astor IV (1894)
Continue reading “A Journey in Other Worlds”
- HNtW 092 (2021–08–13) : Author’s Preface, Book I Chapters I―IV
- HNtW 093 (2021–08–17) : Introduction by SM Stirling for a reprint edition (following the main content of the show, which is Chapter II of The Castle of Otranto)
- HNtW 094 (2021–09–02) Book I, Chapters V―VII
This is regarded as the first “Gothic novel” of terror and suspense. I had trouble restraining my laughter all through.
Horace Walpole (1764)
- HNtW 091 (2021–08–10) : Author’s Preface and Chapter I
- HNtW 093 (2021–08–17) : Chapter II (plus an introduction to A Journey in Other Worlds, written by SM Stirling)
- HNtW 096 (2021–09–10) : Chapter III ― we are now on even numbers, because of the special episode 95 for the 25th anniversary of aNONradio
For those who wish to follow along at home, the text is available on Project Gutenberg.
If you recall the Eames Office film “Powers of Ten” ― we humans are at the midpoint between the galaxies and the atomic nucleus. It’s a great place to be!
Saturdays, 19h UTC
Why would I start a new show, when I have trouble keeping up with the one I already have?
This is a completely different concept, and will be a completely different format (whatever the format ends up being), from Hear Now the Words. About all they have in common is my speaking voice. HNtW is the show in which I read stories written by other people. ASFO is the show in which I talk about what I think are interesting and worthwhile things to know and think about. That is going to involve atomic energy and space travel a great deal. As I see it, those are two defining features of human existence in the present age, which is the age of transition from planetary to cosmic existence. If we fail to think about them, and get them in the correct perspective, we may not make that transition successfully. And that is a thought too hideous, too sorrowful, to bear examination.
Continue reading ““A Step Farther Out””
Dier Treblig Nhoj
This book, published in 1913 (but also dated 1989, in accord with the story) to benefit the International Institute of Shanghai, was the generous gift of well-known leading SDF member smj. The author, alias John Gilbert Reid, was only 14 at the time of publication, & one supposes much of the work was written at least a year or two before that.
My plan is to present one chapter per show of this intriguing work, with something closer to our usual theme rounding out the show.
Continue reading “Pickwickians Abroad”
Edgar Rice Burroughs
This further sequel to A Princess of Mars and The Gods of Mars has no preface to explain how the author came into possession of Captain Carter’s story. Rather, it picks up directly where the previous book left off.
Continue reading “The Warlord of Mars”
Edgar Rice Burroughs
This is the immediate sequel to A Princess of Mars, relating the further adventures of John Carter after his death on Earth.
Continue reading “The Gods of Mars”
or, Captives of a Strange People
The (pseudonymous) author, it appears, was responsible for a number of juvenile scientific-adventure novels. This is an installment in a series, and several of the other books in the series are available on Project Gutenberg, but not this one. Copyright is Cupples & Leon Co.
Continue reading “By Air Express to Venus”
- HNtW 073, 2020-06-26 : Chapter I
- HNtW 077, 2020-07-10 : Chapter II
- HNtW 079, 2020-07-17 : Chapters III & IV
- HNtW 080, 2020-07-21 : Chapters V & VI (plus most of VII)
- HNtW 084, 2020-08-04 : Chapter VII
- HNtW 085, 2020-08-07 : Chapters VIII & IX (did not archive, re-run 2020-08-14)
- HNtW 086, 2020-08-11 : Chapter X
- HNtW 087, 2021–05–28 : Chapters XI―XV
- HNtW 088, 2021–06–15 : Chapters XVI―XXI
- HNtW 089, 2021–07–02 : Chapters XXII―XXVIII
- HNtW 090, 2021–07–06 : Chapters XXIX & XXX (end)
Being an Account of the Great Adventure of Bastin, Bickley, and Arbuthnot
H. Rider Haggard
This work is pretty much contemporary in publication with The Moon Pool, and has some similarities, involving South Seas islands and lost races. It is, however, quite different in both tone and theme. The dedication to Lord Curzon is noteworthy (see below).
Continue reading “When the World Shook”
- 2019-07-23, show 061, dedication, chapter list, chapters 1―3
- 2019-11-19, show 062, chapters 4 & 5
- 2019-11-22, show 063, chapters 6 & 7
- 2019-12-03, show 064, chapters 8 & 9
- 2019-12-06, show 065, chapters 10 & 11
- 2019-12-10, show 066, chapters 12 & 13
- 2019-12-20, show 067, chapters 14―16
- 2020-01-10, show 068, chapters 17 & 18
- 2020-01-31, show 069, chapters 19 & 20
- 2020-05-19, show 070, chapters 21 & 22
- 2020-05-26, show 071, chapters 23 & 24
- 2020-05-29, show 072, chapters 25―28, concluding the story
First half read 2019-02-03 ; about half of what remained, 2019-02-17, and finished 2019-03-03. (Video livestream recordings are available for two weeks.) This is a long one, for all that it represents an abridged edition. No unabridged version exists in English.
Continue reading “Auf Zwei Planeten”
- 2019-02-05, HNtW 044, chapters 1―4
- 2019-02-08, HNtW 045, chapters 5―8
- 2019-02-12, HNtW 046, chapters 9―11
- 2019-02-15, HNtW 047, chapters 12―15 (rerun 2020-05-05 to restore ending of ch.15)
- 2019-02-19, HNtW 048, chapters 16―19
- 2019-02-22, HNtW 049, chapters 20―23
- 2019-02-26, HNtW 050, chapters 24―27 (rerun 2020-05-15 to restore ending of ch.27)
- 2019-03-01, HNtW 051, chapters 28―32
- 2019-03-05, HNtW 052, chapters 33―36
- 2019-03-08, HNtW 053, chapters 37―41
- 2019-03-12, HNtW 054, chapters 42―45
- 2019-03-15, HNtW 055, chapters 46―51
- 2019-03-22, HNtW 056, chapters 52―55 (show on 03-19 failed due to my error)
- 2019-03-26, HNtW 057, chapter 56 and supplementary matter