Come one and come all to listen to The Resistance recall some of Bronzie’s favourite 90s dance floor tracks, from classics by Orbital and the KLF, to handbag dancified bangers by Kylie Minogue and Robin S. I’d like to thank the SDF damgüdcyberchatters for making this show, once again, a fun COM family event. Be well lovely peoples.
- Timings are available on Mixcloud above
- Introduction – Bronzie Beat
- Halcyon and On and On – Orbital
- The Key, The Secret – Urban Cookie Collective
- Pump Up The Jam – Technotronic
- Tree Frog (Trance Mix) – Hope
- Can’t Get Blue Monday Out of My Head – Kylie Minogue
- Show Me Love – Robin S.
- 3am Eternal – KLF
- Born Slippy – Underworld
- The Sign – Ace of Base
- Little Fluffy Clouds – The Orb
- Hey Boy Hey Girl – The Chemical Brothers
- Plastic Dreams – Jaydee
Following a period of virtual constipation when it came to back-processing my shows for Mixcloud, the Bronzieverse has been flushed clean with digital Metamucil and can now announce the birth of Mixcloud versions of his last 4 shows, as follows. NB descriptions, dates and playlists are all provided through the Mixcloud link.
Techno, house, and disco for a change of pace. A mishmash of Dutch, Detroit, whatever I had laying around.
This mix is available in the aNONradio archives here: https://archives.anonradio.net/202007240600_cev.mp3, and at mixcloud here: https://www.mixcloud.com/djcev/mtt-178-just-what-you-have/.
- Hadamard / Earth Is An Oasis 00:00
- Raiders Of The Lost Arp / Arrival 01:50
- Legowelt / The Soul Of A City 05:08
- Coil / The Snow 09:57
- $tinkworx / Calimari 12:54
- D.I.E. / Dutch Friends 17:08
- Luke Hess / There Is Hope 20:35
- Omar-S / Flying Blind 23:47
- Transparent Sound & Scape One & Karoshi / Solid Grooves 28:11
- Will Hofbauer / Idris 31:46
- Zwart Licht Kommando / The Other One 36:32
- Orgue Electronique / Panic At Charles De Gaulle 40:15
- Juan Atkins / I Love You 42:53
- Men Of Science / Acid Dawn 47:01
- Skatebård / June Nights South Of Siena 50:17
- Galaxy Toobin’ / The Day Of The Duel Is Approaching 55:05
Not too much to say about this one. I think the only new(ish) track here is the bouncy Idris by Will Hofbauer from 2018’s NV017 on Neo Violence. The rest of this mix is old favorites. Legowelt’s Soul Of A City, The Snow by Coil, The Day Of The Duel Is Approaching by Galaxy Toobin’, to name a few.
Dutch Friends by D.I.E. (Detroit In Effect) is what probably inspired this mix. I love that track, and I love its video, but only just recently picked up a digital copy of it on Clone WCS MAP 003. I’ve never seen any of the original M.A.P. vinyl in record stores in Portland, not sure why.
And that’s what I’ve got this week. I’ll be back on Thursday the 30th (in my timezone, anyway) to play something chill.
Shoutout to the Men Of Science.
- Maya Jane Coles – Stranger (Original Mix), Db minor, 122 bpm
- Dexter Kane – Dusty Chords (Original Mix), Db minor, 122 bpm
- Phonogenic – Future Bass (Roberto Rodriguez Remix), Db minor, 122 bpm
- Hypnotic Hour – Violins (Christos Fourkis Deep Guitar Remix), C minor, 124 bpm
- Infinity Ink – House Of Infinty, C minor, 124 bpm
- Karmon – Wowshit (DJ Loyalty Vocal Remix), C minor, 119 bpm
- DJ Diass – In Harlem featuring Diva Vocal (Original Mix), G minor, 120 bpm
- Highland Brothers Inc – This One’s Keeper, G minor, 121 bpm
- Eelke Kleijn – Mistakes I’ve Made (Original Mix), G minor, 120 bpm
- Hankat – Be the first (Rosenstand Remix), Eb minor, 123 bpm
- Golf Clap – On To You (Kinky Movement Remix), Eb minor, 120 bpm
- Grum – Raindrop (Original Mix), Eb minor, 126 bpm
Edgar Rice Burroughs
This further sequel to A Princess of Mars and The Gods of Mars has no preface to explain how the author came into possession of Captain Carter’s story. Rather, it picks up directly where the previous book left off.
- HNtW 081, 2020-07-24 : Chapters 1―3
- HNtW 082, 2020-07-28 : Chapters 4―6
- HNtW 083, 2020-07-31 : Chapters 7―9
- HNtW 084, 2020-08-04 : Chapters 10―12
The Foundation of Networking:
Switches, Routers and Wireless Access Points ( and some phsically laid cables ( copper or fiber) together with some Networking standards and Protocols
Switches are the foundation of most business networks. A switch acts as a controller, connecting computers, printers, and servers to a network in a building or a campus
Switches allow devices on your network to communicate with each other, as well as with other networks, creating a network of shared resources. Through information sharing and resource allocation, switches save money and increase productivity.
- A managed on-premises switch lets you configure and monitor your LAN, giving you tighter control of your network traffic.
- A cloud-managed switch can simplify your network management. You get a simple user interface, multisite full-stack management, and automatic updates delivered directly to the switch.
Routers connect multiple networks together. They also connect computers on those networks to the Internet. Routers enable all networked computers to share a single Internet connection, which saves money.
A router acts a dispatcher. It analyzes data being sent across a network, chooses the best route for data to travel, and sends it on its way.
Routers connect your business to the world, protect information from security threats, and can even decide which computers receive priority over others.
Beyond those basic networking functions, routers come with additional features to make networking easier or more secure. Depending on your security needs, for example, you can choose a router with a firewall, a virtual private network (VPN), or an Internet Protocol (IP) communications system.
Wireless Access Points
An access point allows devices to connect to the wireless network without cables. A wireless network makes it easy to bring new devices online and provides flexible support to mobile workers
An access point acts like an amplifier for your network. While a router provides the bandwidth, an access point extends that bandwidth so that the network can support many devices, and those devices can access the network from farther away.
But an access point does more than simply extend Wi-Fi. It can also give useful data about the devices on the network, provide proactive security, and serve many other practical purposes.
*Access points support different IEEE standards. Each standard is an amendment that was ratified over time. The standards operate on varying frequencies, deliver different bandwidth, and support different numbers of channels.
To create your wireless network, you can choose between three types of deployment: centralized deployment, converged deployment, and cloud-based deployment. Need help figuring out which deployment is best for your business? Talk to an expert.
1. Centralized deployment
The most common type of wireless network system, centralized deployments are traditionally used in campuses where buildings and networks are in close proximity. This deployment consolidates the wireless network, which makes upgrades easier and facilitates advanced wireless functionality. Controllers are based on-premises and are installed in a centralized location.
2. Converged deployment
For small campuses or branch offices, converged deployments offer consistency in wireless and wired connections. This deployment converges wired and wireless on one network device—an access switch—and performs the dual role of both switch and wireless controller.
3. Cloud-based deployment
This system uses the cloud to manage network devices deployed on-premises at different locations. The solution requires Cisco Meraki cloud-managed devices, which provide full visibility of the network through their dashboards.
When it comes to an Enterprise or Campus these different pieces of building blocks are easy to identify among with other additional devices which serves different functions or purpose in the network ( firewalls, intrusion detection – intrusion prevention systems, load balancers, etc.)
How does it look like in a Home Network
However if You look at Your Home Network most often than not these different building blocks of networking are fusioned into a single device, which is definitely true if You use only Your ISP Provided equipment
For example in my ISP – Movistar one single box they call thise HGU – Home Gateway Unit – includes many functions( 5 different ones) in one single box.
- Router (its WAN port is essentially the Fibre Port and the LAN ports (switch ports are interpreted as a single Bridge ( Bridged ports together Eth1 – Eth4). It handles VLAN tagging as identifies diferent VLAN for different traffic – Internet, Voice , IPTV )
- Switch ( 4 ports Gigabit on this device on the foto)
- Wireless Access Point ( Wireless-5 on this one in particular 802.11ac and newer models come with Wifi-6 802.11ax on )
- ATA Adapter to Convert analog phone connection to IP Telephony (the grey connection labeled Tel) You can plugin an old analog phone and will work just fine. Tried Myself
- A Media Converter – Converts The Fibre Optic TO Copper RJ45 ( previously they were using a separate ONT ( Optical Network Terminal) box which handled this conversion and gave you a RJ45 copper port to connect it to Your Routers WAN Port) ( attached foto)
In My Case the ONT Box is a separate unit and I have it connected to my Ubiquity 5 POE Router and also the Wireless Access Points are separate devices plus additional switches both managed and unmanaged….
What are the Pros and Cons to use my ISP Provided Equipment ( Unless I absolutely MUST)
- Most of the time everything is packaged up for You in one single box
- Plug and Play, You don´t need to do anything at all… Ready to go as soon as You plug it in ( Configured to work optimally and efficiently , with all settings taken care for You)
- If anything happens or experience any troubles, You can just call Your ISP and have them fix it remotely or via a visit to Your home
- Everything they said it comes with should work accordingly ( IPTV service if it comes with that or telephone calls, etc)
- Normally a One Box Does Many Function Scenario is never as good as a single box for a single function scenario. Indeed it is more cost efficient but it comes with losing of features or functions which in a single box single function exists and most often than not the performance and endurance of a single box single function scenario outperforms by huge leaps a One Box Many Function Scenario
- Apart from a Home Setting ( where You have lets says 3 – 5 users max) when it comes to a 6 users or more scenarios like in a smaller office or small business these One Box Many scenario devices just can not keep up with demand ( not in routing not in switching not as a wireless access point)
- There is no scalability and expandability with these One Box Many scenarios.( amount of available ports f.e)
- They are neither Modular or neither allow a modular scenario easily. I can not just add another 24 port switch easy with a stacking cable to an existing 24 port switch and as plug and play it copies my config regarding the ports and gateways or routes I need and Im up and running in no time with an additional 24 port. Same goes for adding an additional wireless access point IF i find myself in the need to cover another floor or another area of the building with poor/bad coverage
- You have no full control what goes on inside the box and/or what flows in and out. The options You can change are few and far between
I think when You weigh these Pros and Cons what comes into account also is the size of Your Home.
If its small enough for one wireless access point to cover it all and Your number of Users are =<5 and You perhaps need no more than 3 – 4 wired devices to be connected and they can run up to this single box without a problem then I would say stay where You are and spend the money on something else.
However. IF You are like me who loves cables and whatever can be plugged via cable will be plugged with cable.. The amount of ports offered on these Single One Box Many scenarios are used up quiet quickly.
If You factor in the size of the lot or house / areas to cover and not only cables / wall ports but wireless coverage has to be extended beyond the reach of this single box provided then You are already in the scenario of a need for an additional/separate Switch and Wireless Access Point.
I like to have various wall ports available in each room and also keeping separate clients/devices from one another ( IP Telephony /Voip on its own VLAN ( Dedicated Wallport) Vs Wall port which is dedicated to a single client or PC to be plugged in to browse the web and access the network in General Vs A Dedicated Port to Connect a NAS Device which will move files back and fort between a Homelab Servers when doing backups and also sharing PLEX Media Catalog to Dedicated Clients and so on and so on )
Working in IT Sector in Spain and things I think are important when You are looking for a new job or change in Your Career
The below is strictly based on My Opinion and What I saw during the years I worked in IT in various roles in Spain.
In Spain the IT Job Market is divided into 2 Main groups and effectively a 3rd group which exist in other countries I guess but completely lacking here in Spain.
1., Direct Hire with the company
(Being it a big multinational to a small business means no difference) You will be placed on the company´s payroll , wear the same uniform as the others, have the same benefits from day one, long story short if You apply to an IT Role X for Company Y thats what You going to be , an employee of Company Y with all the bells and whistles it comes with being it Pro Vs Contra
2., Being Hired by an intermediate consulting company
( they called like this here in Spain or can call them IT Job Agencies to be very specific) are companies which find the perfect candidate for the Role required and take care of the hiring and selection process and employs the individual on their companies payroll to eventually sell You or rent You out to the End User/Company whom needs the Role/Services to be done at/for ( their numbers can only be compared to the stars on the night sky)
Often than not the amount You will get paid Vs the amount of Money the Company pays the Consulting Company FOR YOU I see it go as much as being the double of one number to another and not in favour to YOUR Salary.
You will be working from day one for Company Y, maybe You even get to wear their uniform if any, but You will not be on the company´s payroll neither enjoy the same benefits as Your colleagues whom many times are hired directly via Company Y and most often than not You will definitely not enjoy the same salary as Your peers.
Can be that You sit with Your colleagues in the same office space, You all doing the same Job, even wearing the same uniform , sharing the workload and the same job functions/responsabilities but being un-equal in the rest ( salary, benefits or other compensations & perks , sometimes even shifts or work hours (weekends, on call , etc.)
Sometimes in rare occasions It can happen that after a few months if its beneficial for the Company You lending Your services to so to say, decides to take You over and offers You a place at the Company hiring You as a full time employee just as You were directly hired from day one By Them. But this is rare an far between. Id not even say 20% of the cases what I saw.
Most often than not You will be hired for a Project or a fixed amount of time sometimes prolong able (long term or short term but definitely not with an open ending contract or indefinite contract we call it here in Spain which has no written end date on Your contract with the Company You work for ( The Consulting Company remember)
What is completely missing in Spain for as much as I saw in 12 years living here… Freelancing and Freelancing in IT to be exact. Being those huge number of consulting companies out there they completely sucked out the opportunity or chance of anyone going solo contracting out their services as a one man shop / independent contractor or autonomous contractor/person as many times referred to it here. There is just no chance for them to companies or even smaller companies to go to THEM Vs going to these Intermediate IT Consulting Companies whom have the resources and capacity to find and get any unicorn talent in a matter of days VS the chance of Your Specialty or Focus being what exactly they need.
What is the problem with this?
In its simplest form obviously being Directly hired by the company who You work for with all its perks and benefits being for You directly, enjoying the same conditions and salary as Your peers is the best deal out there.
When You work through or via an Intermediate or Middle Man ( IT Job Agency) which takes from Your earnings and hard work by paying You as little as possible and selling You or lending You to the Company Y for as much as possible to have the difference between the most beneficial for THEM obvious therefore it is not the MOST Beneficial for You and in direct correlation to Your Salary.
Frankly someone else making money on YOUR Work doing nothing in exchange for it. like having Your agent like in sports or music but this time they make the big money and You left with peanuts.
Its like being a manager of a rock band but hey at least the rock bands earn a LOT of money so who cares the manager gets off easy for the little or nothing they do 🙂 No offense to any rock managers at all Im sure You all do and work hard to deserve all the money You make.
Another important issue is that the type of contracts they offer ( contract for a determined project f.e with a maximum possible contract life expectancy of 3-4 years maximum after which You ought to be offered a permanent contract/open eneded with the no end date on it as discussed or having temporary contracts with a well defined end date on it perhaps prolong able for another 3 or 6 months maybe a couple of times) are worth NOTHING and I put emphasis on the word NOTHING here for a reason.
Imagine You work in Spain with one of these contracts for a given project with no clear end date on it but as per the type of contract it has an expiry on it of 3-4 years as maximum for Company Y as a IT Systems Administrator via IT Consulting Company X.
After a year or so when You feel happy and comfortable You decide to take Your savings and try to get a loan or mortgage to buy a house or a car.
For getting any of these these type of contracts worth Zero. No matter You have the down payment or entry amount however You want to call it based on the country You live these contract types are handled like Trash Vs a Permanent Contract / Indefinite Contract in the eyes of the Banks/Loaners.
Permanent Contract –> with a Company with Your name on it ( in the case being a Permanent Contract no matter if its with a flower shop or a big multinational company or even with a Consulting Company if they were to offer You one which they wont as its not in their benefit i have to say that in some cases lets say 10% of the cases intermediate companies or f.e an official company being service partner for HP just to mention one this intermediate company does offer a permanent contract to its employees. But its rare and far between)
It is not very fair is not it? You do the same job most of the time as Your colleagues You just happened to be the unlucky one to get hired via an Intermediate Consulting Company VS Being Hired by the Company Directly itself.
Cherry on top , in Spain to get a Rent for obituary amounts per Month ( as You could not get a loan or mortgage for Your own house on the above step as described) most often than not Renters/Landlords look down upon these type of contracts and many times insist and describe on the ad or via the agency they hired for renting the place out to specifically reject anyone Without a Permanent Contract. Lets say thats the case of 80% of the rents , the nicer the apartment or the district the more problems You can encounter IF Your type of contract is not the desirable one. And this is even without specifying many times a quiet high amount of per neto value they want to applicant to reach per month with his/her salary either individually or as part of the group of persons in sum total if lets say 3 people looking to Rent House X which asks for a rent of 1000 euros a month.
Another important damage caused to the IT sector in itself:
Big Companies therefore have the opportunity to further filter and alienate away whatever jobs left in the country Vs the ones they already outsourced like in many cases to developing countries for their obvious very low low wages and modern day slavery scenario.
What I mean with this that whatever strange, special , rare, obnoxious job or role left in the company which has not been outsourced overseas and normally would require a pretty fee to maintain a person on payroll for such a role f.e AIX Administrators, System Administrators and alike now can be completely be alienated and kept so to say out of the company by making those roles and jobs available through the third party IT consulting companies and having the benefit of both words – the work is done but still they dont have o worry for the person as him/her not being on the Company´s payroll. Easier to insist and demand and held responsible the individual and-or the Third party providing the resource compared to if they have that person so to say in-house.
When You look at these alienated or strange or special or undesired by the company jobs offered through IT Job agencies two main things You will see:
The amount of specialty in a given topic (f.e AIX administrator) with the amount of experience in years along with a long list of other high profile experience and knowledge as Required Vs being Desired from the candidate
Paired with a relatively low salary compared to the desired qualities and experience and know how plus many times very little to non favorable working hours many times working shifts even nights shifts or weekends and on call availability expected.
Personally to stick with Myself and My example for a second. If I want to become a Linux Adminstrator in Spain:
* I have to accept rotative shifts , oncall availabilty even nightshifts
* Relatively Low Salary
* No option to be hired directly with the End Client / Company
* Have to have a long list of experience and know how in a lot of things required about and around the job itself — so exhaustive that many times i think if I had the amount of X years in the field in that Job plus all the experience and know how required I´d probably would not be looking for a job OR be out of one so to speak.
* Being alienated from my colleagues as I d not be one from the same company but the guy hired through an external agency / IT Consuting company
The above as described happens to nearly all of the jobs I d see myself doing and would love to have. Systems Administrator or Linux Admin or something special as UNIX / Solaris related things when it comes to Servers and similar.
Today it is better to be just a guy who connects mouse and keyboard as an IT On Site Analyst but directly hired by the company VS Being some big shot and doing something You love and enjoy doing but having contracted through intermediate job agencies sucking the life out of You with all those things describe which goes against You ( low salary, type of contract, etc.)
Many times what You would love to do as a daily job is not paid well or giving the same perks & benefits and job security what something else does no matter it is not as attractive
And A Funny Post From Linkedin (Joke) but Still True to what I was trying to explain:
This mix is available in the aNONradio archives here: https://archives.anonradio.net/202007170600_cev.mp3 and at mixcloud here: https://www.mixcloud.com/djcev/mtt-177-before-your-eyes/ .
- DJ HasH / Chrome Position 00:00
- Contactless / Robot Wreckin’ Krew 03:38
- J.B. Beat / Freak City 06:55
- EPG / Party Rock (Assimilation Mix) 09:10
- Knightz Of Bass / Cyclone Attack 14:10
- Sbassship / Solaris 15:54
- Scape One / Cosmic Jam 20:27
- Crossmods / Why Is It So Freaky 22:57
- Computor Rockers / Tech-No-Rock (Full Version) 25:27
- N.W.A. / Panic Zone 29:35
- Aux 88 / Technology 32:23
- Cyber-Funk / Untitled [UR0117 A1] 35:46
- State Logik / Electro Boogie 40:31
- Eggfooyoung / Pop And Lock 42:31
- Professor X / Rekonstruktx 45:09
- The Egyptian Lover / Party 48:16
- EPG / Party Rock (Assimilation Mix) 49:31
- Newcleus / Computer Age (Push The Button) 51:12
- E.V.I.A.N. And The Atlantis Posse / Robo Tech (Bonus City) 56:39
- Mandroid / Horizon 58:07
So most of this is old, and most of it is repeats from previous radio shows. But there are a few new tracks. First, Cosmic Jam by Scape One, from his February 2020 album Cosmic Trax. A sweet, smooth tribute to Jive Rhythm Trax. Second is Why Is It So Freaky by Crossmods, from their Crossmods EP on Crobot Muzik, included here because it plays into the “freak” theme and because it’s a cool track.
A lot of this is records that were often in my bag when playing at Ground Kontrol. Cyclone Attack by the Knightz of Bass, Tech-No-Rock by Computor Rockers, Electro Boogie by State Logik, Pop And Lock by Eggfooyoung. I’ve got a blog post in the works about that State Logik & Jacob record, will try to complete that soon.
Some missed cues in this and some dodgy transitions, but hey, it’s a live mix for the radio. I’ll be back next week with, as usual, something slower. Not sure what that selection will look like yet.
- Darius Syrossian – Back to Truth (Nick Curly Remix), Gb minor, 126 bpm
- Escenda & E-Spectro – Choice (Stan Kolev Remix), Gb minor, 125 bpm
- Eelke Kleijn – The Way That You Are (Original Mix), Gb minor, 125 bpm
- Norman H & Phonic Scoupe – Flying Away featuring Julie Mintz (Instrumental and Vocal Mix), G major, 124 bpm
- Fortun – When I Think About You featuring Bee Hunter (Original Mix), G major, 126 bpm
- Solee – Phoenix (Unique Repeat Remix), G major, 123 bpm
- Made To Move – Shaman (Ben Pearce Remix), Ab major, 120 bpm
- Sam Irl – Trust, Ab major, 121 bpm
- Home Video – Every Love That Ever Was (Mauro Speerli Remix), Ab major, 125 bpm
- Alan Parsons Project – Eye In The Sky (Ken Walker Re-Edit), D major, 120 bpm