Edgar Rice Burroughs
(as Norman or Normal Bean)
It’s hard to say anything about Burroughs’ classic yarn, the foundation of the “planetary adventure” genre, that hasn’t been said before, elsewhere, and better. But think! It was the first story he ever sold, and if he had never written any more, would probably still be remembered as a landmark.
This was the first book I read & recorded for this project, and the original recording is quite rough. When I decided to read the two immediate sequels, The Gods of Mars and The Warlord of Mars (all three novels were bound together by the University of Nebraska Press in an attractive omnibus edition entitled Under the Moons of Mars, the title under which “Princess” was serialized in All-Story Magazine), I chose to read all three books in order, and make my re-recording of A Princess of Mars a Patreon exclusive.
- HNtW 001, 2017-01-20, Foreword, Chapters 1—4
- HNtW 002, 2017-01-24, Chapters 5—9, plus the beginning of Part 1 of Citadel of Lost Ships by Leigh Brackett
- HNtW 003, 2017-01-27, Chapters 10—13
- HNtW 004, 2017-01-31, Chapters 14—16 and the remainder of Part 1 of Citadel of Lost Ships
- HNtW 005, 2017-02-03, Chapters 17—20 and the beginning of Part 2 of Citadel of Lost Ships
- HNtW 006, 2017-02-07 (repeated 2017-07-07), Chapters 21—23 and the conclusion of Part 2 of Citadel of Lost Ships
- HNtW 007, 2017-02-10, Chapters 24—28 (complete) and the conclusion of Part 2 of Citadel of Lost Ships (repeated)