Tough loud electro and electro bass up around 135 BPM. Most of it from Florida. I might be working out some aggression here. Features tracks by Dynamix II, Code Rising, Ohverclock, Phonotronix, a few DJ Wreck (AKA Salim Rafiq AKA Gucci Bass) remixes, and more.
This show is available in aNONradio’s archives here: https://archives.anonradio.net/202008140600_cev.mp3.
- Eggfooyoung / Lake Oceola 00:00
- AS1 / These Dirty Streets 01:20
- DJ Overdose / The Beat 03:56
- Exzakt / More Bounce To The Ounce 07:44
- Netzwerk Florida / Earth.Wind.Fire (Instrumental) 10:37
- Hydraulix / Hydrospace 13:34
- Code Rising / Retro Miami 17:32
- Drop Man / And The Beat Goes 21:07
- Otto Von Schirach / Bass Low (Gucci Bass Rmx) 23:59
- E.V.A.C. / Terra (Salim Rafiq’s Anti Terra-rist Remix) 26:51
- Brice Kelly / The Unseen 29:57
- Ohverclock / Rezonation (Beat Mix) 33:32
- Tricky D / Take It To The Max (Hydraulix Remix) 36:38
- Code Rising vs Phonotronix / Fathom 40:13
- T.E.S.T. / Heat Levels Critical 42:29
- Ghostlight / Signal Stream (Inhuman Designed Remix) 45:14
- Phonotronix / In-sub-or-di-nate 48:54
- Dynamix II / Pledge Your Allegiance To Electro Funk 53:00
Tracks 3, 5, and 18 (The Beat, Earth.Wind.Fire, and Pledge Your Allegiance) are all from Exzakt‘s record label Monotone. Exzakt himself appears twice in this mix, with More Bounce To The Ounce and the previously mentioned Earth.Wind.Fire. I’m a big fan of Monotone, and am happy to see they’ve been active again in the last few years. (Brice Kelly has a new album on Monotone that seems pretty rad).
Discogs tells me that Salim Rafiq is half of Gucci Bass, the remixers of track 9 Bass Low by Otto Von Schirach. That forms a fun connection with the next song Terra (Salim Rafiq Mix) by E.V.A.C. – same remixer, 16 years apart. Both are good remixes, and seem to fit well together.
Ryan Phillips AKA Kounterakt appears three times in this mix, twice as a member of Code Rising and once as a member of Ohverclock. I had Mind, Body, and Soul from Electro Endeavours Vol. 2 queued up too, but didn’t get to it. Top tunes all.
Phonotronix also appears three times: track 14 Fathom with Code Rising, track 17 In-sub-or-di-nate, and track 16 Signal Stream as Ghostlight (with Cloak), although that last one is remixed by Inhuman Designed.
I feel like there’s a whole modern electrobass scene here, one that isn’t talked about much on the outlets and discussion forums I follow. I’ve got a bunch of this style from the 2000s period – Debonaire Records, Exceleration, Frajile, Monotone. Then 2008-2015 gave us Bass Frequency Productions, Black Magic US, and CHP Recordings (that I’m aware of). I’m not sure what’s going on right now; I know Monotone and Frajile Recordings are active, but that’s it. I’m excited to see where the Florida electrobass sound goes this decade. I’m hoping for a return to a more minimal, spare, synth-y sound, more like the early 2000s.
And now I’ve talked too much. I love playing this stuff but it only ever feels appropriate in the summer months, August in particular. I had a track cued up to play after Pledge Your Allegiance but the timing didn’t quite work with the vocal outro, unfortunately. I’ll be back next week, same time and place, with something faster.