In this week’s episode we heard DJ SHARPNEL, the prolific artist who has influenced just about every sound I love. DJ SHARPNEL is the stage name of the man who goes by JEA, founder of Project Gabbangelion and eventually the label SHARPNELSOUND. Active under multiple monikers from 1996 to today, JEA was inspired to produce after attending a number of hardcore show in Osaka as part of the scene we explored in episode 1 of the phone booth. Books can and have been written about the history of this act and related personalities, but suffice it to say, JEA popularized what is now known as J-Core: an upbeat style of happy hardcore & gabber blended with anisong samples.
- L.A. Style – James Dad Is Brown (uncredited remix)
- DJ Sharpnel – WHO THE FUCK IS JAMES BROWN IS STILL DEAD OR ALIVE!!???
- DJ D1ed/DJ Sharpnel – WALAWALAwahINGton (Fake Promise – ERRR Micks)
- DJ Sharpnel – PANTS
- DJ Sharpnel – XRated ちぇる-C
- DJ Sharpnel – DELUSION WONDERLAND
- 日向 – ブルーウォーター (BLUE WATER DJ SHARPNEL REMIX)
- DJ Sharpnel – Take Core Of Yourself
- DJ Sharpnel – SPEED DISCO VOL. 1
- M-PROJECT – Tori no Uta (M-Project RMX)
- DJ Sharpnel – Co.Co.Ro.
Keen listeners may note this week started out with a callback to last week with two more remixes of LA Style’s James Brown Is Dead. The rest of the night was all SHARPNELSOUND and associated acts. Since 2017 DJ SHARPNEL has withdrawn from live shows, opting instead to perform in virtual reality venues regularly. He’s headlined with such acts as The Speedfreak, Goreshit and W.T. Snacks among others. You can follow him @sharpnelsound on twitter to keep up with future live events