Finishing out the springtime dub techno and moving into a little electro this week. My traditional end-of-the-month slow set.
- Rings Around Saturn / World Interior 00:00
- Ohrwert / Neutral 03:10
- Iwata / Stereotype 05:55
- Brk / III 09:48
- Mark Broom / Look And Stare 14:48
- Paperclip People / Remake (Basic Reshape) 18:09
- Fingers In The Noise / Empty Whisky Bottle 22:23
- Chronolux / Sun Spots 27:19
- Am.Light / Breathing 32:11
- Plant43 / Amphibious Architecture 35:15
- Electronome / V = for Viewlexx! 39:11
- Lowfish / Cancel, Continue 42:00
- Silicon / The Wash 46:55
- Marco Bernardi / Complete Direction 49:52
- Martin Nonstatic / Sense Of Life 54:45
And here’s a link to the recording: https://archives.anonradio.net/202003270600_cev.mp3 with thanks to aNONradio for hosting the archives.
About half of this mix is a tour through free dub techno netlabels – Deepindub (track 7), Dewtone (tracks 9 and 15), Energostatic (tracks 3 and 4), Recycled Plastics (track 2), and Thinner (track 8) all feature here. My favorites of those are the two from Energostatic Records: Stereotype by Iwata and III by Brk. Dewtone and Recycled Plastics appear to be the only active labels from that list.
Track 6 Remake (Basic Reshape) by Paperclip People (AKA Carl Craig) is of course a Basic Channel remix. The copy played here is from the Basic Reshape 12″, Basic Channel catalog number BC-BR. I believe I bought my copy at Platinum Records a few years after its release. I’ve linked to Hardwax in the tracklist above, where that same release is still available both vinyl and digital.
Tracks 13 The Wash and 14 Complete Direction are both from the Dutch electro label Frustrated Funk. The Wash is of course by Heath Brunner, head of V-Max Records, and not any of the other artists named Silicon. Bernardi’s Complete Direction is from his Welcome To My World EP, and is the slow track on that otherwise fast EP.
I’m glad I picked this month for dub techno, as it’s been a tough one otherwise. I’ll be back next week with something fast again. Something weird.
More techno, dub techno, and a little house. Music to space out to while you consider your next move.
- Audiokonstrukte / Some Miles 00:00
- Zzzzra / Sumo 03:29
- James Ulibarri / Buried In Snow 06:48
- Unknown / Untitled 07 [UKNWN02 03] 11:18
- Roberto Figus / The Natural 16:59
- Overcast Sound / Snow Melt 20:51
- Marco Bernardi / Keep On Looking 25:11
- Bipolardepth / Untitled [ML056 02] 29:35
- Simoncino / Baila Baiana 34:07
- Mikron / Ghost Node 36:54
- JGarrett / Vaporizer (Jonah Sharp Remix) 41:56
- Zwart Licht Kommando / Flare (Acid Mix) 46:09
- Sinousity / Alfanuosity 50:00
- Tones On Tail / You, The Night, And The Music 55:21
- Newworldromantic / Spirit 58:01
And here’s a link to the recording: https://archives.anonradio.net/202003200600_cev.mp3 with thanks to aNONradio for hosting the archives.
Two more tracks from Motorlab feature this week: Sinuosity’s Alfanuosity and Bipolardepth’s Untitled from ML056 Soundtest. Soundtest is particularly good and cohesive, with Bipolardepth’s track being in my opinion the best on the release.
Mikron’s Ghost Node, from their album Severance on CPU Records, is my current favorite from this list. Ghost Node has a peculiar moody disco vibe, something I associate with old Legowelt or Orgue Electronique, old Bunker, Clone, or Crème. Severance is easily my favorite album of 2019, so go check it out (please).
All these tracks are good of course (I mean, I like ’em), even if the selection doesn’t quite hang together right. It was a fun and welcome distraction on a troubling Thursday evening.
I’ll be live again on the 26th with something slower; blog post to follow as usual.
Techno, dub techno, and a little 2000s minimal for a rainy week.
- Sinuosity / Untitled [Cycle23 B] 00:00
- Maurizio / Domina (Maurizio Mix) 02:50
- Das Kraftfuttermischwerk / Flieg Mit Mir, Flieg 08:56
- Ben Businovski / T-Test (Two-Tailed Mix) 11:25
- Bryan Zentz / Merciful Dub 14:27
- Pan/Tone / Funky Martini 19:47
- Andy Vaz / Untitled [1-1 A1] 24:13
- Soultek / Analogueheart (Ghost Hacked By Area) 26:44
- Pheek & Benfay / Leaving Bern 30:42
- Marko Fürstenberg / Reactor3 35:39
- Bipolardepth / Event Two 38:25
- Bandulu / Downstairs Somewhere 43:38
- Underworld / Surfboy 45:31
- Maurizio / Domina (Maurizio Mix) 51:40
- Model 500 / Starlight (M 69 Original Mix) 55:15
- Auto Kinetic / Motorcity 56:50
And here’s the recording: https://archives.anonradio.net/202003130600_cev.mp3 with thanks to aNONradio for hosting the archives.
Tracks 3, 9, and 10 are all from the famous netlabel Thinner. Pheek & Benfay’s Leaving Bern is my favorite of those three. Pheek‘s two releases on Thinner, Tabisuru Kokoro (thn043) and Consortium (thn076), are worth checking out if you’re into the style exemplified by Leaving Bern. Both are available at files.scene.org. Thinner’s catalog is also available at archive.org, if that’s more convenient.
The reason I assembled this mix, the track I really wanted to play, is the classic Domina by Maurizio. The particular copy featured here is from the the Tresor 3 compilation. It’s probably my favorite of the M-Series (though M-4 is also very good). Hardwax has M-3 Domina available as both 12″ and a digital download if you don’t already have it.
And that’s it. I think I’ll do some more dub techno four-on-the-floor stuff next week, but slower. Check back for that if you’re into it.
Ambient and dub techno to sleepily close the third year of this radio program.
- The Black Dog / Terminal EMA 00:00
- Bjorn Rohde / Forest Of Forgotten Hearts 03:00
- Zzzzra / Invendable 06:34
- Seal Bient / Untitled [ML051 01] 12:28
- Galcid / Border 17:06
- DeepWoods / Voyageur Radio 20:35
- Dimomib / Lights Of Blue 25:36
- Exhausted Modern / The Last Minute On Earth 29:42
- Monolake / Bicom 34:08
- Melotone / Drifting Clouds 38:14
- PFL / Mohinis Dub 43:00
- Seal Bient / In The Terminal 46:29
- Silent Phase / Love Comes And Goes 49:48
- Pineapple Corner / Easy Fly 53:41
- User48736353001 / 14 Floating∞ 57:18
and here’s the recording: https://archives.anonradio.net/202002280600_cev.mp3 with thanks to aNONradio for hosting the archives.
The new tracks here are Border by Galcid from their EP Galcid’s Ambient Works, and The Last Minute On Earth by Exhausted Modern from the False Endings EP on Brokntoys. Galcid’s Ambient Works is particularly good. All four tracks on it are strong; #2 Mirror is my favorite.
Both pieces by Seal Bient are from the Russian techno label Motorlab. I’ve written about Motorlab here before, but it’s worth recommending their releases again if you’re into dub techno and/or spare detroit-ish techno. They have a couple interesting sublabels, too: Cyclon and Runout, for tracky techno and ambient releases respectively.
And that’s the end of MTT Year 3. Thank you everyone out there listening; I hope you’ve enjoyed, and found some new music. I have something special planned for next week’s show, the first of year four: fast (130-140) techno, with an unusual theme. Should be a good time.
100 BPM beats for a tired Thursday night. This mix includes one F-bomb at the 30 minute mark, during Viktor Vaughn (MF Doom)’s rap. I guess that makes this one PG-13. Consider your surroundings when listening. (In other words: may or may not be appropriate for work. Depends on where you work.)
Here’s the tracklist:
- Mikron / Embers 00:00
- Ben Businovski / Re-evaluation 04:30
- Seal Bient / Structure Of Phantoms 07:26
- Reedale Rise / X-K 09:53
- Boards Of Canada / In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country 13:00
- Depeche Mode / Cover Me (Alt Out) 16:30
- Takeshi Muto / Muto Love 19:47
- Push Button Objects / Striffle 23:06
- Prefuse 73 / Point To B 26:23
- Viktor Vaughn / Raedawn 29:03
- Aaron Spectre / Voices 31:38
- Mikron / Aldergrove 35:55
- Secret Frequency Crew / Ghost In The Bayou 39:43
- Funky Technicians / Ninja (Essence Of Time Remix) 42:32
- Lionrock / Rock Steady Romance 44:49
- Tipper / Minimal Thoughts Of Reason 48:35
- T.Power / Postcards From Pluto 51:12
- Aroma Nice / Lo 56:34
and here’s the recording: https://archives.anonradio.net/202001310600_cev.mp3.
Two tracks by Mikron feature in this mix: #1 Embers and #12 Aldergrove. Both are from the excellent album Severance on CPU Records. Severance is a nicely varied album, slower in tempo than is typical for electro, more relaxed. It works well as an album, too: I’m happy listening to it straight through, beginning to end. Thumbs up for Severance, give it a listen at the link above.
Another standout here is Muto Love by Takeshi Muto from the Lily Of The Valley comp on Schematic. The rest of that comp is good too, and is definitely worth picking up. I’m sure I’ll be playing parts of it over the coming months.
Not too much more to say about this one; all these tracks are good. If something strikes your fancy here consider supporting the artist(s) at the links above. I’ll be back next week with something fast.