In 1933—34, a “round robin” novel, with each successive chapter by a different author, was published in the fanzines Science Fiction Digest & Fantasy Magazine. I first encountered the chapters by A. Merritt and Doc Smith in anthologies of their respective works. It so happens that Doc’s chapter is a direct sequel to Merritt’s, which made it obvious to see what was going on, & led me to suspect the existence of more stories. Continue reading Cosmos (and The Challenge from Beyond)
Archive links :
- HNtW 001, 2017-01-20, Foreword, Chapters 1—4
- HNtW 002, 2017-01-24, Chapters 5—9, plus the beginning of Part 1 of Citadel of Lost Ships by Leigh Brackett
- HNtW 003, 2017-01-27, Chapters 10—13
- HNtW 004, 2017-01-31, Chapters 14—16 and the remainder of Part 1 of Citadel of Lost Ships
- HNtW 005, 2017-02-03, Chapters 17—20 and the beginning of Part 2 of Citadel of Lost Ships
- HNtW 006, 2017-02-07 (repeated 2017-07-07), Chapters 21—23 and the conclusion of Part 2 of Citadel of Lost Ships
- HNtW 007, 2017-02-10, Chapters 24—28 (complete) and the conclusion of Part 2 of Citadel of Lost Ships (repeated)
All these are .MP3 files, right on an hour long at 192 kbps (except for the first two, which were sent out at 128 owing to my own error), putting them right about 82 MB.
Standard reminder to support these broadcasts if you enjoy them goes here.
This is in the nature of an experiment, albeit one which is quite a long time in the making.
Having come up with the idea of “live-action audiobooks”, or live-streaming myself reading, I realized that the recordings I was making in the process could be edited & sent out later as audio transmissions. aNONradio seemed like an ideal venue for this, in no small part because of its archive feature.
This is, then, a long-form spoken-word program, consisting mostly of my reading of classic science-fiction novels. I hope you enjoy!
- aNONradio timeslot : 15h UTC, Tuesdays and Fridays
- Twitch streaming : typically 22h UTC, last Sunday of each month (but subject to change in light of my schedule — listen for announcements)
- Patreon campaign : tip the storyteller, on a recurring monthly basis
Major works read so far :
- A Princess of Mars, Edgar Rice Burroughs (shows 001—007)
- The Moon Pool, Abraham Merritt (shows 008—018)
- Cosmos, various authors, read as time permits rather than as a whole
- The Skylark of Space, Edward Elmer “Doc” Smith (shows 021—028)
- Armageddon 2419 AD, Philip Francis Nowlan (shows 029—034)
Shorter works read so far (as fillers, et cetera) :